AMANA HEAT PUMPS PROBLEMS
Information about the problems and breakdowns of Amana heat pumps that were reported from 2012 to 2022.
Common problems: burning, fire, smoke, sparks.
Faulty modules: door, heat pump, motor, thermostat.
16 issues reported
Consumer reports that the power cord to the heating & air conditioning unit melted and burned out the plug.
Respondent stated that the A/C heat pump plug that was plugged into the wall failed. The plug overheated & caused a fire. A fire extinguisher was used to disperse the flames. A female was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation. Property damages estimation could be $2000.
Consumer’s house was on fire. The origin of the fire was Heat Pump & the possible cause is the heat Pump Motor. The material ignited was flooring. The heat pump caught fire & when it blew the air through all the air vents it also blew the fire through the vents.
Consumer reported that heating & cooling unit had caused electrical plug to melt & wall behind location received burnt marks. She noticed this after unit stopped working. Unit would trip circuit breaker intermittently. Unit remains inoperable.
Fire Marshall reported fire that began in Nursing Home with window unit air conditioner/heater. Burning occurs near plug & where plug goes into receptacle. He found four of these units with burn marks at same place. He reported that there are approximately 80 of same units.
The submitter stated that the fire dept responded on the report of fire and smoke emitting from the power cord of an air conditioning & heating unit at a healthcare facility. A fire extinquisher was used to contain the fire. There was moderate fire and smoke damages.
The consumer stated that the PTAC system was running the heater and the power cord popped and sparked.
Fire occurred in heater & air conditioning unit. Unit is through wall heat & air conditioning unit located in hotel. Fire was confined to unit due to fire sprinkler system activation. Heaviest fire damage was located near electrical fan motor and control board unit.
Amana PTC 123B50AMBP
The submitter reported that a PTAC unit caused a fire in a vacant room in a hotel. The fire activated the fire alarm and sprinkler system which helped control the fire. Damage was mostly to one room.
The consume 37, rstated that the wall AC/heating unit was on for an extended period of time without shutting off. The room temp was over 84 degs while the thermostat was set at 68. The unit wouldn't shut off from the OFF button. The plug burned his fingers when unpluging.
Consumer's heating/cooling unit began smoking. It was unplugged and found that components melted inside. Consumer later received recall notice.
I have a HVAC Unit installed in the sun-room on my house. On one incident, there was a loud bang & the room was filled with smoke. The smoke was coming from the unit. We immediately turned the breaker off supplying power to the unit. It appeared the refrigerant blew out.
Submitter stated that they experienced PTAC power cord fire. Units were not covered by recall. Units have been in continuous operation with appropriate monthly & seasonal maintenance. Guestroom in which it was operating was occupied & guest was able to turn it off.
Consumer saw smoke in his apartment & heard air handler working intermittently. He opened the door where the air handler is located, removed the fuse & pulled the cover off. There was a blackened area around the circuit board. When put the fuse back in, circuit caught fire.
Female consumer had her packaged terminal air conditioning unit repaired because of recall. Technician came too late for the repairs, unit stopped working due to the defect mentioned in recall. Consumer wants reimbursement for the damage.
The Submitter reported that a PTAC (Packaged Terminal Air Conditioner) in a guest room at the hotel spontaneously burned up. A hotel engineer smelled something burning and discovered. The guestroom was unoccupied, no injuries.
View All +