AMANA REFRIGERATORS PROBLEMS
Information about the problems and breakdowns of Amana refrigerators that were reported from 1977 to 2021.
Common problems: burning, electric shock, explosion, fire, leaking, mold.
Faulty modules: compressor, door, glass, thermostat.
5 safety recalls announced
W.C. Wood Company Inc. Announce Recall of Upright Freezers and Single Door Refrigerators
Name of product: automatic defrost upright freezers and all-refrigerators. The defrost heater coil can become exposed inside the units, which poses a potential shock hazard to consumers. In some cases the exposed heater wire can also melt, or burn the unit's interior plastic food liner. The recalled single door freezers and refrigerators are 15, 17 and 20-cubic foot Automatic Defrost Upright Freezers and 17-cubic foot Automatic Defrost All-Refrigerators that can be converted into freezers. They were sold under the brand names Amana, Crosley, Danby, Maytag, Whirlpool and Wood's, which is written on the front of the unit.
Maytag Recalls Refrigerators Due to Fire Hazard
Name of product: Maytag, Jenn-Air, Amana, Admiral, Magic Chef, Performa by Maytag and Crosley brand refrigerators. An electrical failure in the relay, the component that turns on the refrigeratorвЂ™s compressor, can cause overheating and pose a serious fire hazard. The recall includes certain Maytag, Jenn-Air, Amana, Admiral, Magic Chef, Performa by Maytag and Crosley brand side by side and top freezer refrigerators. The affected refrigerators were manufactured in black, bisque, white and stainless steel. Sold at department and appliance stores and by homebuilders nationwide from January 2001 through January 2004 for between about $350 and $1600.
Announced that 96,000 owners of Amana side-by-side refrigerator-freezers made between February 1969 and September 1974, have been contacted by the company and given instructions for modifying the units to eliminate any possibility of shock hazard. The Amana models to be modified are SR17, SR19, SR22, SR25, SD19, SD22, and SD25, whose serial numbers begin with the letters IS, E, B, L, A or C.
Amana Work To Fix Refrigerator Shock Hazard
Amana initiated a program to fix a shock hazard in certain side-by-side refrigerators. Amana estimates that approximately 5,000 of the 353,000 side-by-side refrigerators made from April 1993 to September 8, 1994, have a screw on the light cover that could come into contact with a concealed electrical wire to cause a shock. The side-by-side refrigerators, which sold nationwide through appliance retailers for about $1,200 to $2,200, have serial numbers 9304000000 through 9409156208.
Refrigerator Repaired by Amana
Announced voluntary corrective action program involving approximately 240,000 Amana side-by-side refrigerator/freezers manufactured between February 1969 and September 1974. Those refrigerator/freezers to be repaired are Amana model numbers SR 17, SR 19, SR 22, SR 25, SD 19, SD 22, and SD 25. The units can be further identified by checking the serial numbers on the serial plate located behind the removable black grill at the front of the refrigerator/freezer. Those serial numbers beginning with the letters S, E, B, L, A, or C are affected by this program.
View All +
13 issues reported
Refrigerator caught fire on relay starter which melted prongs on compressor unit. Consumer lost all food in freezer & in refrigerator. Replacing compressor did not fix the problem. Manufacturer believes this is due to damage during shipping. They're sending another one.
consumer's wife opened refrigerator door to retrieve food when she noticed that unit was clicking, wasn't cold & the food was warm. consumer found that these symptoms normally track back to a relay switch & could cause fire hazards. He has unplugged the refrigerator.
Consumer states that electrical failure to the compressor unit of the refrigerator caused so much excessive heating of the compressor unit that it produced an odor like plastic burning and burned a piece of paper. It also caused minor burns to her 27-YO son's right hand.
The vertical metal stripe that separates the side by side refrigerator & freezer, the same strip which the rubber door seals rest against when closed, is EXTREMELY HOT & may produce a skin burn. The coils beneath the refrigerator are also extremely hot.
Refigerator caught fire.
Consumer says noticed an electrical/plastic burning odor in the kitchen and found it coming from the refrigerator. A technician found that the compressor starter relay had burnt out and there was visible charring and melting inside the relay.
Consumer removed the tempered glass shelf from the refrigerator to wash it, while doing so with warm water approximately 3-5 mins the shelf exploded, shattering pieces all over the countertop & kitchen floor.
After 7 years of regular use of the Refrigerator in a 2-adult household, consumer have discovered a possible design flaw that allows the lower hinge pin to become unscrewed during normal use, ultimately resulting in the heavy door abruptly falling to the floor. no injuries.
consumer noticed that refrigerator would not cool down even when she lowered the thermostat. a technician indicated that refrigerant & oil was leaking from the appliance. consumer indicated that her concerns were that she could be breathing in toxic fumes from refrigerant.
While consumer was removing pantry glass lid from her refrigerator to clean it, it exploded, shattering glass pieces as far as 12-15 feet, all over her kitchen counters & floor. She wasn't injured.
Consumer discovered that refrigerator has drip pan that is sealed into unit & cannot be cleaned which causes mold. Pan had turned black & ice cubes have odor. Her concern is that with this mold constantly creating in unit is health hazard.
52 YOM reported chemical smell & release of toxic substance spread inside fridge. Odor became overwhelming after he began removing food. After breathing in ammonia/fishy smell substance he felt burning sensation between esophagus & lungs. He unplugged unit.
Female consumer reports that the condenser to the refrigerator malfunctions and sometimes causes the door to not shut completely. If the door is slightly open the condenser malfunctions. This creates ice buildup and leaves the unit. Unsafe for food storage.
View All +