coleman grills-stoves-outdoor

Information about the problems and breakdowns of Coleman grills and stoves for outdoor that were reported from 2000 to 2021.

Common problems: burning, fire, leaking, melting, sharp edges.

Faulty modules: control board, regulator, screen.


2 safety recalls announced

CPSC, The Coleman Company, Inc. Announce the Recall to Repair Coleman Gas Grills and Patio Heaters

  • Date: 9/8/2005

The regulators on these products can leak propane when the propane cylinder is turned on and the product is not in use. This can pose a fire or explosion hazard. The recall includes Coleman Gas Grills with model numbers 5100, 5300, 5400, 5600, 6000 and 7700, and Coleman Patio Heater with model number 5040.

Gas Grills Recalled by Coleman

  • Date: 8/1/2000

Voluntarily recalling about 86,000 Coleman Gas grills. A sharp edge on the metal heat shield below the control panel of the grill can cause lacerations to the hands, wrists or arms. Coleman has received six reports from consumers who received cuts or lacerations on their hands, wrists, or arms from the heat shield when they were accessing the propane cylinder underneath the grill. Only grills with series numbers 2000 or 3000 are included in the recall.

View All +


13 issues reported


  • Date: 5/13/2019

Consumer purchased a propane camping grill which is defective. The grill top has melted and was replaced under warranty. This grill has been used in compliance with the included instruction booklet. Consumer said the replacement grill has also meted. No Injuries Reported.

Coleman RoadTrip 285

  • Date: 3/10/2020

The shelves under gas grill were not extended & caught fire from the heat. This could have caused a explosion in the portable gas tank. There is no warning on the grill to extend the shelves prior to lighting. A neighbor warned me about the fire & flames were extinguished.

Coleman 424

  • Date: 12/12/2021

75 YOM consumer had a camping stove which caught fire during a camping trip. Shortly before fire, the stove would produce a puffing sound which extinguished burner flame. Stove leaked fuel when consumer wanted to use it again. He had to tighten couplings but didn't use stove.

Coleman 9990-646

  • Date: 5/30/2012

When owner turned the gas grill on, the flames were shouting out of the grill's back side. Owner’s shorts were on fire. Once it cooled down, owner removed the grill screen & bottom tray & noticed both burners in has been split broke from the back, the bottom end dropped down.

Coleman Fold N Go propane grill - 2000020932

  • Date: 9/27/2019

44 YOM was cleaning the grill grate and drip pan of a portable propane grill at home. He suffered a deep laceration due to sharp metal edges.

Coleman 2000020925

  • Date: 6/9/2019

Consumer used a camping stove. Directions were followed and consumer cooked food and turned off gas supply. Consumer went to clean up and discovered that burner tube and cooking grate had melted into metal glob. The whole assembly of tube and grate was destroyed.

Coleman Fold N Go

  • Date: 7/16/2020

Consumer reported that the portable propane grill the propane regulator only attaches very loosely with a weak spring and leaks propane. Also, the grease drip tray, that is removable for cleaning, has extremely sharp edges.

Coleman Triton

  • Date: 10/7/2014

A 50 YOM repots that a propane stove burner assembly appears to be stamped from sheet metal. The manufacturer failed to install holding screws in the bottom of the burner assembly so when tipped the unit to the side, the burner assembly slid off the base & caused lacerations.

Coleman 9941-768

  • Date: 9/27/2012

Consumer turned on the grill to preheat for a couple of steaks. After a few minutes of preheat on high temp, opened the grill to discover the aluminum grill grate had melted. It appears that grease fires can reach temps above aluminum's melting point. Safety concern.

Coleman 9944

  • Date: 6/18/2013

56 YOM went to light gas grill & it wouldn’t light. He made sure he had gas. He tried to light again & gas started coming out & would not stop flowing. He tried to unscrew tank & back end of regulator exploded & hit his hand. Explosion burned his fingers. He received no aid.

Coleman RoadTrip

  • Date: 7/22/2014

A 63-YOF stated that when she put her hand down to remove the water tray from the grill after using it, her hand brushed against the hole opening for the burner and sliced her finger open against the sharp edge. She received a tetanus shot and four stitches to her finger.

Coleman RoadTrip

  • Date: 3/1/2020

60 YOM was trying to set camping grill up but latch that is supposed to catch/hold legs together didn’t snap. In process to move legs manually to get to lock properly, two heavy grates slid off grill & went down left arm tearing skin off. He got medical treatment.

Coleman 2000020929

  • Date: 9/22/2019

53 YOF consumer reports that she was unable to turn the grill off after using it. The knob just kept going around no matter the direction it was turned. An open flame with no way to turn it off is very dangerous.

View All +