GE ELECTRIC WIRES AND SYSTEMS PROBLEMS
Information about the problems and breakdowns of GE electric wires and systems that were reported from 1988 to 2016.
Common problems: electric shock, fire, overheating, smoke.
Faulty modules: rack.
3 safety recalls announced
Outlet Converters Recalled by General Electric
Recalling about 50,000 outlet converters, also known as current taps. They convert a single electrical outlet into three outlets. The ground connector receptacles are oversized and can cause loose ground contacts. Without grounding, consumers are exposed to serious shock hazards.
Surge Suppressors Recalled by GE
Four GE surge suppressor models, EPC-6S, EPC6NS, EPC-4NS, and EPC-CPU and two RCA surge suppressors, models SK416 and SKF416, are being recalled. Some of these surge suppressor- c are defective and may present a severe electric shock hazard. A defective product's metal housing and the metal housing of any 3-wire appliance connected to it could be electrified.
Midwest and GE Recall of Meter Load Centers
Name of Product: Meter socket load center manufactured from May through August 6, 2004 by Midwest Electric Products and GE Consumer & Industrial. Some of these products were sold with loose internal bolt connections, which could result in excessive heat or fire.
View All +
5 issues reported
Consumer reports that the 3-outlet power splitters have very shallow plugs, and leave live electrical lines exposed in a way which makes it easy for someone to accidentally touch live electrical prongs, or accidentally drop something on the prongs, potentially causing a fire.
GE NEMA 15207
consumer installed Electric Time Switch for control of water heater. after week he noticed the hot water heater, to which Time Switch was wired was not turning on & thus not heating water. he discovered that there had been an internal melt-down on the connection panel.
Power adaptor attached to phone handset overheated & caught fire. Prongs melted off adaptor & stayed in outlet. Wall around quad plex outlet was scorched in 1 foot radius. Duplex outlet in utility room had to be replaced. Consumers were alerted of fire by smoke detector.
GE FS 066 ME 2
17 YOM plugged in cell phone charger into multi-plug outlet & additional outlet spit flame & spark, burning & electrocuting him. He has sustained burn on index finger & thumb, which are charred with cuts on them. He received first aid. Nothing else was plugged in.
Consumer purchased dimmer switch labeled for 2 types of light bulbs. When installed, it was not working as it should. Consumer was informed that these were intended for different type of bulbs & were mis-packaged. All dimmers on rack were in same packaging.
View All +