LG DEHUMIDIFIERS PROBLEMS
Information about the problems and breakdowns of LG dehumidifiers that were reported from 2001 to 2020.
Common problems: blowing up, burning, fire, noise, overheating, short circuit, smoke, turning on/off.
Faulty modules: buttons, compressor, control board, fan, rack, sensor.
4 safety recalls announced
LG Electronics Inc. Announce Recall of Goldstar, General Electric, and Sears Kenmore Dehumidifiers
Voluntarily recalling about 100,000 Goldstar, General Electric, and Sears Kenmore portable dehumidifiers. These dehumidifiers have an internal electrical connection that can overheat, presenting a potential fire hazard to consumers. LG Electronics has received seven reports of dehumidifiers overheating, including four reports of fire within the units, with smoke damage to surrounding objects. The recalled dehumidifiers are white, with a red auto shut off button, and regulators for fan speed and humidity control. The dehumidifiers were manufactured between November 1998 and May 1999, and have the following brand names and model numbers: Goldstar DH2510, DH4010 and DH5010; General Electric AHG25LAG1, AHG40LAG1 and AHG50LAG1; Sears Kenmore 580.59600890 (60-pint model only).
Additional Reports of Fires and Low Consumer Response Rate Prompt Reannouncement of Goldstar and Comfort-Aire Dehumidifier Recall
This recall involves 30-pint portable dehumidifiers sold under the brand names in the chart below. The dehumidifiers are white with a red shut-off button, controls for fan speed and humidity control and a front-loading water bucket. Goldstar or Comfort-Aire is printed on the front. Models: Goldstar GHD30Y7 and DH305Y7, Comfort-Aire BHD-301-C.
Dehumidifiers Recalled by LG Electronics Tianjin Appliance Due to Fire and Burn Hazards
The power connector for the dehumidifier's compressor can short circuit, posing fire and burn hazards to consumers. LG has received 11 reports of property damage incidents involving arcing, heat, smoke, including four fires that spread to the building structure and involved significant smoke/water damage. This recall involves 30 pint portable dehumidifiers. The dehumidifiers are white with a red shut-off button, controls for fan speed and humidity control and a front-loading water bucket. Goldstar (GHD30Y7, DH305Y7) or Comfort-Aire (BHD-301-C) is printed on the front.
Home Fires Prompt Dehumidifier Recall Reannouncement from LG Electronics
The recall involves the 30-pint portable dehumidifiers sold under the Goldstar and Comfort-Aire brands. The dehumidifiers are white with a red shut-off button, controls for fan speed and humidity control, and a front-loading water bucket. Goldstar or Comfort-Aire is printed on the front. Model and serial number ranges: GHD30Y7, DH305Y7, BHD-301-C.
View All +
28 issues reported
Consumer reports that the automatic shut off on the portable dehumidifier does not work, it does not stop running and the bucket overflows, flooding the area. Consumer says it is dangerous for an electric appliance sitting in a puddle of water as well as causing other damage.
Smokey/burnt smell was coming from dehumidifier. 44 YOM unplugged it and stopped using. He purchased it approximately 24-36 months ago.
Consumer reports that they checked on the dehumidifier and found it was overheating and there was a funny burning smell. Consumer says this model is not on the list of recalled ones but should be recalled since it started to overheat.
When consumer's dehumidifier operated, it sounded like air conditioner going on and off & wasn't pulling in water and was shutting off abnormally. When consumer was researching repair instruction, consumer discovered that unit was recalled due to faulty wiring to compressor.
Submitter reports that the dehumidifier had been on approx. an entire night at the church and the next day morning a person went into the office smelled smoke. It was found that the unit was smoking. When the top was removed, the sensor on the evaporator coil was melted.
Consumer reports that the dehumidifier went on fire in his home causing more than $50,000 in damage. Consumer says the manufacturer has a known record of faulty dehumidifiers and their history of causing fires.
50 YOM smelled electrical smoke, went down to basement , & found dehumidifier burning hot with meltdown in progress, but not shut down. Consumer reports that melt down of parts is visible on unit.
Consumer reports that his dehumidifier was on for approximately 5 hours during the day. When he went to turn the unit off and unplug it, he noticed that the plu and part of the electrical cord were burnt. He believes the power connector for the compressor short ciruited.
LG DH 305
Consumer says his dehumidifier is not included in the recall even though it is the exact same as in the recall notice photograph and was bought in the same time frame. He says it is not dehumidifying very well and the top of the unit was too hot to the touch and smelled hot.
30 YOM CONSUMER SMELLED SOMETHING BURNING & PUT HAND ON DEHUMIDIFIER. IT WAS SO HOT, IT BURNT HIS HAND. HE UNPLUGGED IT. IT WAS STILL TRYING TO RUN. HE BELIEVES IT COULD HAVE STARTED A FIRE.
Circuit breaker blew. There was odor coming from consumer's dehumidifier, but it was so hot she had to wait for it to cool down before unplugging it. She reset circuit breaker, then plugged dehidifier back in. Immediately, circuit breaker blew again.
Caller heard slight click noise from 30 pint dehumidifier from beginning. There was recall & repair was completed. She turned unit off, but fan & heat continued running. She unplugged it to stop it from running and it has remained unplugged.
Consumer had dehumidifier set on auto & decided to switch it to turn on & off for 4 hours when it started to overheat. Unit was becoming extremely hot. Cord became really hot & surge protector would trip when her dehumidifier would overheat.
The consumer stated that the dehumidifier was being used in his basement when he heard a few odd cracking noises and started to smell burning. He discovered that the dehumidifier was pouring out smoke and flames. After putting out the fire, he had to air out the home of smoke
37 YOF turned off dehimdifier. They went to bed & were awakened by smoke alarm. She saw dehumidifier on fire. She used kitchen fire extinguisher to put out fire. She, her husband, and their children, 3 YOF & 6 YOM suffered from smoke inhalation, but didn't seek treatment.
The dehumidifier was not running. The consumer pushed the on button with no response. He found that the circuit breaker had "blown". He reset it and turned on the unit. It started running then a bang and electrical flash shot out the back air filter and blew the breaker again
The caller, a private fire investigator, states nobody was home when a small fire originated from the location of the dehumidifier. The dehumidifier is always plugged in. The unit turns on automatically. The location of the dehumidifier is where the primary damage occurred.
Consumer turned dehumidifier on & they were using it off & on for a week. They went to empty the canister & could not even hold on to the outer unit because it was very hot. They immediately unplugged unit & had to wait several hours to cool down enough to remove it from home
The consumer stated that the dehumidifier exploded in the basement, catching fire, and causing extensive smoke damage to the home.
Consumer noticed the Dehumidifier overheated & smelled of burning plastic inside. It is set to automatic to turn off/ on at 65 degrees. The consumer was away from his home for a couple of weeks & when he returned, he noticed the unit was extremely hot to the touch.
A house fire was caused by a dehumidifier. A smoke alarm went off. There was an arcing problem with the unit. The dehumidifier was examined and determined to the be the cause of the fire. The fire was extinguished by a water pipe that had failed due to the fire.
The consumer stated that his dehumidifier caught on fire. The consumer was able to put it out with a fire extinguisher before it spread to the house.
A 58 YOM consumer plugged in the dehumidifier & within 15 minutes he detected smoke. He quickly unplugged the unit. After an hour he removed the back of the unit to see that a fire had started at the top of the compressor & burned off the wiring & pipe insulation.
The consumer stated that the dehumidifiercaused melt and burning of the electric outlet. No major fire nor injuries happened.
The consumer stated that the dehumidifier was used in antique/classic auto storage area with eight cars stored to control humidity when unit apparently ignited, causing widespread smoke damage throughout the area and to the cars, estimatedly requiring over $40,000 to repair.
69 YOM noticed that dehumidifier wasn't collecting water & its back plastic/rubber panel was warm & very pliable. He removed back panel & felt compressor with palm. Compressor was so hot that it burned his hand. He treated hand by himself with ointment.
Consumer's dehumidifier stopped working properly. Unit's fan was running, but compressor was out. There was a plastic smell. Consumer took off back panel and found a power lead melted, burned and was broken off at compressor terminal. Consumer states this is a fire hazard.
Dehumidifier did 't turn off when set humidity was reached & wouldn't turn off when 76 YOM tried to adjust humidity setting. It wouldn't turn off when power switch was turned off; it kept running though control panel shut down. Only way to turn it off was to unplug it.
View All +