MAYTAG MICROWAVE OVENS PROBLEMS
Information about the problems and breakdowns of Maytag microwave ovens that were reported from 2011 to 2021.
Common problems: burning, electrical, fire, glass shattering, melting, overheating, short circuit, smoke.
Faulty modules: door, fan, filter, rack, timer.
23 issues reported
while an over the range microwave oven was use, all of a sudden, the wiring started shorting, the microwave light blinking & a burning smell came out of it. inside the glass turntable plate had melted in one spot creating a hole & ring underneath was melted and on fire.
Consumer reports that the microwave oven continued to run past the setting of its 30-second feature while heating a cup of coffee although it beeped three times and the fan and light clicked off on reaching the end. It wouldn't stop by pushing the stop button.
consumer put a piece of eggplant into a ceramic bowl with about 1 inch of water in it's bottom in the new microwave oven. He set the time for 10 minutes & about 5 minutes left, his wife saw bowl's contents on fire. she opened the door, turned unit off & saw fire inside unit
67 YOF closed door of microwave after it was in use for 45 seconds & heard a humming as if microwave was still on, but light inside of it was off. She couldn't turn it off by using digital touchpad. To shut it off consumer had to unplug microwave from the outlet
Consumer reports that the microhave oven must be unplugged to be turned off. Consumer says if it is left unplugged, it will comtinue to cook anyting that is left in the oven.
Microwave was stuck on after normal use, blackening empty microwave dish & causing glass turntable to break from overheating. Consumer had to open & close door several times & push off switch to turn unit off. Unit was unplugged. Turntable broke & was replaced once before.
Light from underneath consumer's microwave oven arced flollowed by their circuit breaker shutting off power. This was found to be caused by bulb socket coming loose from mounting bracked & shorting against frome of microwave. Access to loose socket is cramped.
Consumer stated that unit was burned & enamel was peeled off & scorched near light base. She also stated that when she placed food in microwave for approximately 10 minutes, it would continue on even after timer was over. She also noticed it emitting sparks inside from light.
A 32-YOM says he placed a bowl of noodles in the microwave oven and immediately after pressing the start button a 3-4' electric current that was visibly sparking with crackling noise shot outward from the unit toward him knocking him down. The keypad was heavily smoking.
Consumer reported that her microwave sits over range & when she was using her stove throughout day, she noticed that microwave door was melted. She stated that door & plastic around it were melted, & microwave doesn't work now.
Consumer opened the door of the microwave & discovered that it was black on the inside. Prior to that time she noticed that the fan was running. The consumer never smelled anything burning. The technician took out the rotating glass tray that was broken in 2 parts.
Consumer pushed start on over-stove microwave & it made loud sound & a bright white light came from the right side behind the vent grill. Consumer opened door to stop cycle. The electrical arc did not happen when tried again. Turntable sprocket piece has been replaced 3 times
Consumer reported that over-the-range microwave oven overheated to the point of melting the glass turntable and a ceramic coffee cup . A hole was burned through the inside bottom of microwave as well.
43 YOF heated cup of water in microwave for about 2 min & after that she was sitting in living room & heard something weird. She found that fire caught on top of microwave. She called 911. Fire department told her fire was caused by electrical short circuit from microwave.
Consumer reported that plastic panel beneath the door of microwave oven has melted & started to deform. Unit initiated its automatic vent fan & shot upper vent panel off at a high velocity. The metal & plastic object struck 46 yof in forehead & caused bodily injury.
Consumer reported that 26 YOM put meal to get warm up for a minute and after while he realized that the microwave was not stopping. He tried to stop, opened door but it kept going, it wouldn't stop. Consumer pulled the plug of microwave.
A 55yof reported that while Heating beans in a ceramic pot, the microwave caught fire inside on the right side where the grate is.No Injury.
Microwave filter disintegrating and dropping filings onto stove, and potentially into 73 YOM's food.
Consumer reported that microwave automatically started while consumer's wife & two adult children were in kitchen at home, then smoke began to billow out of top. They were close to unit & unplugged it.
The consumer stated that while the microwave oven exhaust fan was in operation, the exterior glass component of the door spontaneously shattered. The consumer stated that the oven was not in use for cooking purposes.
Microwave interlock switches failed at 6 months and again 6 months after repair. Unit will either not determine that the door is open or closed and allow the unit to run, or the unit when closed will power up without any user interaction.
Surface light of microwave burned out. 52 YOM attempted to replace bulb with same as burned one & it exploded in face, he didn't get 1st aid. 2nd replaced bulb became hot after being turned on for few second. Light would no longer turn off & they were force to removed bulb.
The consumer stated, that the outer door of the over-the-range microwave fell off onto the top of the range, where were cooking boiling dishes.
View All +