samsung batteries-chargers

Information about the problems and breakdowns of Samsung batteries and chargers that were reported from 2014 to 2021.

Common problems: burning, electric shock, fire, overheating, smoke.

Faulty modules: screen.


15 issues reported

Samsung NP900XC3-A04US

  • Date: 10/11/2014

Internal battery in computer expanded & deformed bottom of case. When case was removed battery was very enlarged & distorted. Consumer stated that service technician removed battery & told consumer that it posed fire & possibly explosion risk.

Samsung ETA-U90JWE

  • Date: 1/2/2017

The consumer stated that after about 30 minutes of first using the travel charger, it started glowing (orange-like) internally and making a buzzing or hissing sound. Then it sounded like it popped and some smoke came out, along with a strong odor of burnt wire.

Samsung EP-NG930

  • Date: 1/3/2017

The consumer smelled something burning and found that the cellphone wireless charger smoldering at the usb port. There was no phone on it charging for at least 30 minutes, but the blue light on the charger that indicates charging was on.

Samsung Galaxy S7 SM-G930A

  • Date: 2/11/2017

The consumer stated that the cell phone battery exploded and caught fire while charging on nightstand. He stated that it produced heavy smoke in home and sent his spouse, 47, to the hospital due to smoke inhalation.

Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900A

  • Date: 6/6/2017

Consumer awakened to loud noise & saw small fire ball dispersing towards bed & it fell to floor. She used fire extinguisher to contain fire. Fire burnt area of flooring that it landed on. Fire was related to cell phone battery.

Samsung Galaxy Tablet R21CB216HLL

  • Date: 2/8/2018

Consumer's tablet charger was plugged in for a day. She then connected it to tablet. She smelled something burning. Tablet's screen has gone black. She saw orange flames coming from cord of charger. She was advised by manufacturer to send charger for replacement.


  • Date: 2/23/2018

9ft metal charging cord was plugged into phone & charge strip. I put an electric item on bed & the metal of plug hit the metal of cord & immediately caused a fire & as I grabbed it within seconds I was shocked. It burned approximately 2-3 inches of the metal off cord.

Samsung Charger

  • Date: 9/17/2018

Consumer's son had (smart watch) charger cord plugged into a charger & surge protector & he was wearing his smart watch. Consumer & her son noticed smell. 58 YOF Consumer went to check the plugs & burned her hand on the exposed USB connector that had melted the cord.

Samsung EB-BG360CBU

  • Date: 5/20/2019

A Fire Department investigator reported that the lithium battery in a cell phone had thermal runaway and caused a minor fire inside of a residence as well as 2nd degree burns to the inner thigh of the 65-year-old female consumer.

Samsung EP-PG9201

  • Date: 7/12/2019

The consumer stated that the wireless phone charging pad got so hot that it partially melted. The consumer stated that it seems plausible that it could have caught fire and done serious damage (or worse! ) to their house.

Samsung EP-TA50JWE

  • Date: 12/21/2019

Consumer have two chargers that are used at home only to charge two cell phones. Both the chargers came with phones. Consumer recently discovered that both chargers have yellowing discoloration & part of the exterior plastic coating of the charger has melted off. Fire Hazard.

Samsung Galaxy Note 9 SM-N960U

  • Date: 8/6/2020

Consumer reports that their 57 YOF wife was using the charger with it plugged in while talking on the phone when she began getting shocked. Upon inspection the copper wires were fray and exposed. This product is unsafe and an electric shock hazard.

Samsung Note 8

  • Date: 9/2/2020

The Consumer lifted the cell phone battery after it was charged and flames erupted and it exploded. He stated that he was able to place the battery on a surface which caused the surface to warp. He stated that he could have lost his eyesight if his face was close to the unit.

Samsung EP-NG930

  • Date: 12/27/2020

The Consumer stated that the cell phone wireless charger overheated and started a small smoldering hole on their nightstand top.

Samsung Galaxy Book Pro 360 Charger

  • Date: 6/17/2021

The consumer charged her laptop for the 1st time for about 30 minutes and when she went to disconnect the AC adapter from the wall, she found that it was extremely hot to the touch. She noted, that the heat was only limited to the AC adapter and the laptop worked fine.

View All +