samsung computers

Information about the problems and breakdowns of Samsung computers that were reported from 2013 to 2021.

Common problems: burning, fire, melting, overheating, smoke.

Faulty modules: fan, screen.


20 issues reported

Samsung NP540U3C-A02UB

  • Date: 5/15/2013

Caller stated that her 18 year old daughter was using & charging computer, when she smelled what would appear to be burning wires. she discovered that the smell was coming from her computer. The wires in the charger were smoking. A plastic piece of the charger had melted.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T210RZW

  • Date: 5/23/2014

While the tablet computer was charging, the consumer's 10-YO daughter came home to a burning smell and found the unit smoking. She unplugged it from the wall and unplugged the charger from the device, the metal had melted. It burned her and her bedding when she dropped it.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite

  • Date: 12/28/2014

A 43 YOM purchased a tablet computer. First time he plugged it in to charge, 2 days after he opened it. It melted through the back case.

Samsung Galaxy Tab GT-P7310MA

  • Date: 1/31/2015

11 YOF unplugged USB charging cord from tablet computer. She was burned/electrocuted. Consumer handled cord & was also burned. Rubber at end of cord where it plugs into device come apart which exposed metal wiring. Injuries were minor, no medical attention required.

Samsung NP780Z5E-S01UB

  • Date: 10/9/2015

47 YOM reported that laptop computer suddenly became extremely hot, with smell of melting plastic. Unit was unplugged & inspected after cooling. Consumer stated that computer became hot enough to warp/melt lower case housing, & upper case housing/keyboard/touchpad.

Samsung LS24K1EEPV1XAA

  • Date: 10/24/2015

72YOF switched on power to the monitor. Right away, she was exposed to plastic smoke. She unplugged the unit. The unit was repaired before for power board failure and is still under warranty.

Samsung NP305E5A-A03US

  • Date: 11/25/2016

The consumer stated that the laptop computer caught on fire while she was using it as usual. She smelled burning plastic and lifted the computer and saw orange flames through the fan vent. She lifted it away from flammable material. The fire lasted a few minutes and went out.

Samsung GT P3113

  • Date: 12/12/2016

Tablet caught fire while charging in garage. 56 YOM heard small explosion in another room. Unit was on fire & plastic table it was setting on was also on fire. Fire was extinguished. Flames were inches away from carpet, cardboard boxes & wooden work which was scorched.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 SM-T700NTSAXAR

  • Date: 5/31/2017

59 YOM was near the tablet computer when he heard a loud pop and saw that the tablet had burst open. The battery had swelled up. Consumer took the tablet outside. He suffered an unspecified injury. The tablet was not plugged in or in use at the time.

Samsung SM-1237P

  • Date: 6/22/2017

Consumer has tablet. It was plugged in. Consumer picked it up to use, & it was warm to the touch but not hot & consumer noticed it had developed a bulge in the back of the case and the screen had started to lift off. Consumer contacted manufacturer, but they were unconcerned.

Samsung Galaxy Tab A8

  • Date: 7/3/2017

The consumer stated that the 8-inch tablet computer overheated, got a bubble in the screen and continued to get hotter. The unit stopped working and was too hot to even touch. The unit was only 3 months old.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 SM-T230NU

  • Date: 7/27/2017

Consumer stated that tablet computer became ‘swollen’. Front glass is bulging so that edges of glass are exposed, & back of case is bulging outward. Tablet got warm while it was in use. Consumer concerned that devise may explode or catch on fire.

Samsung Galaxy S6

  • Date: 9/21/2017

Fire crews responded to a home and discovered that a cell phone [USB] charging cord that was plugged into a ‘power bar’ which was plugged into a wall outlet had an electrical failure and began to burn. The end of the cord, laying on the hardwood floor, was burn disfigured.

Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB SSD

  • Date: 12/1/2018

I ordered a drive. The drive was installed, using the existing power connectors. Shortly after the personal computer was turned on, the drive caught on fire damaging the entire PC. Had I not been around when the fire happened, it could have burned my entire house down.

Samsung XE500C13-502US

  • Date: 6/6/2021

The Consumer reported that his daughter’s laptop computer caught fire while charging. It was placed on the arm of a leather couch.

Samsung Syncmaster B2240

  • Date: 7/1/2021

Consumer reports that the computer monitor was flickering. A day later the unit caught on fire while they were out of the home. The monitor was plugged into a surge protector. The fire extinguisher was able to put out the fire. This product is unsafe. Fire hazard.

Samsung CHG90

  • Date: 7/25/2021

36 YOM consumer reports that the computer monitor gets so hot that they can smell burning plastic. The unit was replaced and the same thing happened again when used with an video game system and set off the smoke alarm. This product is unsafe and a potential fire hazard.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 SM-P6000Z

  • Date: 8/8/2021

72 YOM stated, on two instances lithium battery expanding in size & deforming case of electronic device, one was tablet & other was laptop. Early Li batteries were simply enclosed in plastic wrap, allowing them to expand over time & deform/rupture case of electronic device.

Samsung Note 4 RT1J518AS

  • Date: 9/5/2021

The Consumer, 76, reported that the cell phone cable melted near the place where it attaches to the phone. The Consumer was using the phone at the time and it burned the Consumer's stomach.

Samsung Chromebook 3 500C-13-K04

  • Date: 9/13/2021

67 YOF consumer reports that while using the laptop it began to smoke and making a hissing sound. The unit appeared to be ready to explode. She took it outside. The laptop scorched the dining room table it was sitting on at the time. Potential fire or explosion hazard.

View All +